Sun, sand, and surf. Even if you can’t hit the beach, you can still look like you have. We asked expert hair stylist Teddi Bickers how to create gorgeous beachy waves at home.
Follow her steps to create your own carefree style.
- Begin by sectioning your hair into top and bottom sections.
- Spray a silkening mist, such as Kenra Platinum Silkening Mist, to provide thermal protection and eliminate frizz.
- To create beachy waves, grab your styling wand (we like Paul Mitchell’s Neuro Unclipped 1”), and wrap 1 ½” sections of hair, moving away from the face, around barrel. Hold barrel vertically to create loose waves. When you feel the hair on the outside getting hot, let go of the curl.
- Continue the process on each section of your hair. When you reach the top section, make sure to elevate the hair when curling as to provide more volume.
- When finished use an argan oil, such as AG Hair The Oil, to shake curls out with fingers while smoothing at the same time. Apply oil to both sides of hand to get maximum coverage.
- The more hair you take, the larger the wave.
- You can re-enforce the curl shape as it cools by twisting it.
- If you’ve made a curl you aren’t happy with, use a round brush and blow dryer to work out the kink.
- Use higher heats for thicker, coarser hair, and lower heats for thin hair.
- Longer barrels are better for long hair.