Channel your inner mermaid with this easy beachy half updo. Hairstylist Teddi Bickers of Ado Hair Design in Indianapolis shares her tricks on getting this adorable look.
- Begin by sectioning your hair into top and bottom sections.
Spray a silkening mist, such as Kenra’s Platinum Silkening Mist, to provide thermal protection and eliminate frizz.
- To create beachy waves, grab your styling wand (we like Paul Mitchell’s Neuro Unclipped 1”) and wrap 1 ½” sections of hair, moving away from the face, around barrel. Hold barrel vertically to create loose waves.
- When you feel the hair on the outside getting hot, let go of the curl.
- Continue the process on each section of your hair. When you reach the top section, make sure to elevate the hair when curling as to provide more volume.
- Use an argan oil, such as AG Hair’s The Oil, to shake curls out with fingers. Apply oil to both sides of hand to get maximum coverage.
- Grab a 2” square section of hair above ear, and clip it for marking. Repeat on other side.
- Remove first clip and twist section tight.
- Bring over to the other side, and pin with bobby pin. Repeat on other side.
- To create a more intricate look, you can weave the second twist in and out of the one that is already pinned.
- Finish with a finishing spray such as Joico’s Flip Turn Volumizing Finishing Spray.
- The more hair you take, the larger the wave.
- You can re-enforce the curl shape as it cools by twisting it.
- If you’ve made a curl you aren’t happy with, use a round brush and blow dryer to work out the kink.
- Use higher heats for thicker, coarser hair, and lower heats for hair that’s fine.
- Longer barrels are better for long hair.
- Add volume and grip to your crown with a texture powder such as Schwarzkopf OSiS+ Dust It Mattifying Powder.
- When using bobby pins, pin in upwards direction first to avoid drooping.